Saturday, September 17, 2016

“Draw Nearer to God” : Servants of God

As I was contemplating ways I could improve myself and strengthen my testimony, I was given the opportunity to serve with BYU Habitat for Humanity. This was a wonderful experience that has lightened my soul and helping me draw closer to my Heavenly Father!

Service is an amazing way to get to know people and to share experiences with others from all backgrounds! I was able to go to the Restore Habitat for Humanity outlet in Spanish Fork, Utah through BYU's YServe organization! This organization is how HFH is able to afford the costs of building homes for low-income families throughout the area. My group was assigned to organize and unbox items to be sold in the Restore. The service was simple, yet I learned to appreciate what I have and the blessing my help can be to others.

I thought of 3 scriptures as I was working at this project. The first is found in 1 Samuel 16:7,

"...For the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart."

This scripture correlates to service because that which you do to improve your testimony shines in your heart! When you give your heart to others in service, you give your heart to God! I also thought of both service scripture masteries, Matthew 25:40 and Mosiah 2:17. These scriptures teach the value and principles of service! 

The Lord has blessed us with talents and abilities that we can learn to strengthen and improve! I have the ability to serve others and I am nurturing the part of me that loves serving others! It is an amazing feeling to know that you are contributing to a great work. The best service we can give is the service from the heart! The greatest service we will perform is that done in the Temple of the Lord! The work we do for those who cannot do for themselves is vital to their salvation and to the building of our faith!

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my bretheren, ye have done it unto me." 


No comments:

Post a Comment